Thursday, April 18

Stitchin'

 
At the weekend, Ali and I led Warped classes in Indian Stitchery (hand stitching with bright colours, beads and more) and in stitching curves (very impressive stuff with sewing machines). It was a lovely day of gentle work and good company and much was accomplished.

Meanwhile I have been continuing work on my indigo block print fabrics. Below is a typical Ajrakh block print design from Gujarat, with a resist applied, and several further blocks and dye processes. The fabric is a fine cotton.


I had a similar Ajrakh block printed onto a coarser weave of organic handwoven cotton - so only resist + one block, then dyed indigo -  and I have highlighted sections of the pattern in a fine cotton perle thread.

Ruth Clifford gives a detailed description of the true Ajrakh process here

No comments: