Sunday, December 2

Draughty December

Hmm, all the bits we were going to improve in the cottage this year have not been worked on so at times there's a howling gale blowing under doors and whistling down the chimney. It makes you want to stay about two inches from the stove of an evening rather than working in another (chillier) room. I should have been spending evening times on preparation for a demonstration I am doing on Thursday evening to Berwickshire Arts Society but I allowed myself to be side tracked into 'fancifying' a waistcoat instead.

The garment started out as a labour of love - hand spun and knitted as a marled navy/white sweater for Hugh some years ago. It fell out of favour so I felted it in the washing machine and added it to the stash last year (or maybe the one before that...) Anyway, last week I attacked it with scissors. Off came the arms, off came the neck then the side seams were hacked at too. I blanket stitched all round, restitched the side seams and then set about some fairly wacky chain stitch with scraps of hand spun to create a complete one-off. If I had had the sense to take a pic I would have attached that but I'll add it soon.

Suddenly it's Sunday evening and I had better get busy with fibres and carders in belated preparation for the demo.

Already there has been another event in our busy village hall - two short plays with supper in between last night - and next Saturday we are having a village party. I tell you, life in the country requires stamina!
Since being the lucky recipient of a SOSF package from Sarah, I have been admiring her work. I love her site at Miskellaneous Design and this image in particular - it seems so appropriate with darkness falling in the middle of the afternoon these days. She's got some wonderfully nutty stuff in her shop

2 comments:

tlc illustration said...

Now I totally want to see a picture of the 'waistcoat' you are working on. No fair just describing it!

Sandra Evertson said...

Lovely blog!
Happy Holidays!
Sandra Evertson